Sunday, December 9, 2007

i love this shot


I took this yesterday at the University of Dayton's Alumni event for the Atlanta Children's Shelter. This a high school student who volunteered to help with this event. I was working the room trying to make connections with people so I could get some interesting shots. I approached her by saying that I had never seen a pink Santa hat and that I would like to take her picture. She was more than happy to allow me two entire frames. This was the first and the second had her moving away from the camera laughing. I am sure I was saying something witty but it is not coming to me at the moment. I knew I had the first shot so I didn't worry about trying to get some more of her.

I love this shot for a few reasons. Besides her eyes and smile I think the hat provides a nice touch. Her head tilt is so natural and genuine that it adds to the believability of the shot. She is also making a gesture with her hand that is great. I am not sure what she is doing with it but I couldn't have scripted it better. Finally, this event was in a church's gymnasium and it had those awful yellow lights that are so common in gyms. But it also had these great big windows that let in a ton of light. The light I was using is from a window behind me that allowed me a big fat catch light that makes her eyes sparkle.

I think this girl would like to have this shot and I hope I can find a way to get it to her.

No comments: