Monday, July 28, 2008

dirk


This photograph is an image of my friend Dirk. My family and his were spending some time together at their lake house and I was able to get some great shots of him and his family. Last week, Dirk moved 1,000 miles away. Making a move like that was once so uncommon but today we have become a much more mobile society. Personally I grew up moving around quite frequently. I think this made me look for few but very close relationships and my friendship with Dirk is a great example. He will be missed but my experience has been that these distances are a difficult thing to overcome. I hope it is different with him.

His move made me think about our friendship and I concluded something interesting about him and me. We met about seven years ago when my wife and I moved across the street from his family. We became fast friends because we shared many of the same interests. We also share a pretty dominant Type A personality, but I think meeting in our 30s (when we were seemingly more mature) helped us tolerate each other. If we met in college or in high school, I am pretty sure he would have beat me up. In our 30s we didn't care as much about one being better than the other at something (I said we didn't care "as much"). Fortunately we met at the right time and formed a great bond.

I am certainly missing my good friend.

1 comment:

Barry Armer said...

Very nice Steve! I really like the background color and overall tonality of the shot! Well done!

Barry