Saturday, July 5, 2008

goodsell amplifiers #2


My client Richard chose this shot as the main cover shot for his website. It can be seen if you go to www.superseventeen.com. I was surprised that this showed up because it was a raw image right out of the camera. I delivered to him a large number of shots that he wanted on disk just to look through. Together we focused on about a dozen shots that he felt had potential. This was not one of those.

This shot is an example of seeing something you like and grabbing it. It is also an example of where a formalized photo shoot can also achieve desirable effects with some spontaneity. We had stopped shooting for a moment when Tamra walked over to speak with someone. She stopped right here and gave me this pose. I quickly grabbed one shot composed exactly like this. It appealed to me visually and without thinking about it I shot it and am glad I did. I like the somewhat hard light on her and the amp. To me it is almost a spotlight effect. The couple feathers on the ground are a nice touch as well.

I believe that intuition plays a big part in my process. I do not get too caught in following rules and just try to shoot what I like or what I think would look good. In this case, my intuition was right for what the client was trying to accomplish.

No comments: