Friday, November 2, 2007

chess master


I took this shot in downtown Atlanta. Street photography has opened up my eyes to the world around me and encouraged me to continue to explore in different ways. I have thought about approaching these men who play chess in a park so this day I thought I would see what it was all about.

I was fortunate enough to meet a chess master of the streets. In this case there were about 10 guys sitting around playing chess. I asked someone if they minded if I shot while they played. They did. Another gentleman was standing by watching and said "you can't expect to take pictures for free". He was convinced I was making money despite my insistence. I said what does it take and apparently $10 was the number. I told him no thanks.

We continued to chat for a while. He was homeless and been playing chess in this spot for about 10 years. I was a bit surprised he was homeless, but I felt it wasn't something he thought I should feel bad about. He said he liked the freedom of living in the streets. I had to take this guys picture, so I offered $5 and he agreed. He wanted the shot while he was playing on his board. I was fine with that. He sat down and this is what I got. I shot for several minutes until he said "that's a lot of pictures for $5". I told him I was done and thanked him. He took me for $6. Check mate!!!

I am planning on going out this weeked to do some street shots and I am going to go back to this park to see if I can find this chess master. I want to take him a print of this picture and thank him for allowing me to get some shots that made an memorable impact on me. Who knows what else I might find.

No comments: