Wednesday, November 14, 2007

kristin


I have not posted in a few days and had been sporadic for a while before that. I am not really sure why this is but I was thinking about the fact that the level of discontent in the equity markets has been significant. I tend to bring my work home and it can certainly affect my creativity as well as other things in my life. I find this ironic to a certain extent because isn't that why we amateurs puruse photography or other hobbies in our personal life? Absolutely!!! I need to take more pictures when the market is declining not less.

Tonight I had the opportunity to take a few pictures and I had a good time doing it. This is Kristin. She has asked me to take her picture as a gift to her mother for Christmas. I have only known her for about a week so I am still trying to figure out her looks and how best to photograph her. This picture is not part of the shoot that we are planning but I wanted to post a picture of her so you can get an idea of what I have to work with.

Kristin is from Sweden so you might possibly conclude that in addition to her blonde hair she has blue eyes. I want to capture this in the shots we take so color is a must for the closer shots. Being here in the US temporarily and her mother in Sweden makes me want to capture part of her temporary surrounding. I thought we would go downtown to Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta and take some shots with the park, fountains, and buildings as a backdrop. I see the pictues that I want to take and will hopefully be able to execute them consistent with this vision but certainly everything will not go as planned (my recent Christmas card shoot of my kids is a friendly reminder of that....we will try again this weekend).

What I am hoping to accomplish is to create a few shots that make her say "Wow". The pictures that I took of Kristin along with others I have seen of her exhibit a similar look. Very pretty, very consistent, but very much the same. I hope that wow comes because we caught her in a way that she has never seen before. I will update you on what happens and post a result or two.

I am working harder on previsualizing my shots. I think it helps the creative process as well as make the shoot more efficient. When situations do not go your way there are times you need to abandon these preconceived ideas but for the most part I think it helps the process.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think having some ideas up front can really help, but like you said be ready to go in an other direction when it doesn't work out.

Was watching a good documentary last night about creativity and beating slumps - he said you just have to work through it - sitting around waiting for inspiration or motivation doesn't work. You just have to shoot.