Wednesday, November 21, 2007

technology, photography and competition


I attended a presentation by Hasselblad where they were talking about their newest H3DII DSLR system. I wanted to go because I love using Hasselblad equipment and I dream of having one with digital capabilities. Is there a value proposition by having this technology when the 35mm leaders have done an amazing job of innovating with their technology? I cannot possibly answer this question. The thing I think I really came away with is the medium format camera may be a way for the professional photographer to differentiate himself in a very crowded field.

Medium format is an expensive proposition when you are talking digital. A new Hasselblad system can cost $30,000 for top of the line stuff. This is a huge barrier to entry for the photographer trying to make a living. Is it worth it? I am convinced that medium format does have its advantages...bigger pixels and bigger sensors. Today more and more people are walking around with digital SLRs so showing up to a job with a camera that can't be confused with your grandmother's camera is probably another advantage.

Phenomenal pictures are a must in the world of professional photography and any camera can give you the opportunity to create them. But if you can gain an edge by having top notch equipment that tells your client that you are serious I can only imagine that increases their confidence in your abilities. Finding an advantage is key in a competitive world and Hasselblad believes they give it to you.

No comments: