Thursday, November 15, 2007

intuition


I took this shot a couple months ago. I was walking with some friends through a park in Savannah where we came upon a party that was being thrown for a woman's birthday. I did not feel compelled to shoot much of the people at the party, but did manage a few. It was strange to me that I did not have the energy for people that I had earlier in the day. I think the reason for that was due to the energy that was being created by my friend Gordon and the birthday girl. I was unaware of their connection at the time but I am sure it was the reason for me being a bit on the outside looking in. I encourage you to read Gordon's story because the synchronicities are eerie. Like Gordon says Savannah is an odd place.

I found myself taking pictures of the ice sculpture and the tea lights that were hanging from the tree. In particular these tea lights were pretty interesting to me. I took a few shots and this one was one of my favorites because of the impact the depth of field makes in this image. The first light is rather clear considering the high ISO. The second light is just a light source and you cannot make out the glass. The third and fourth lights begins to fade away but are still present. I enjoy examining these transitions. If there were even more lights hanging the effect could have been even more pronounced.

The composition of this shot is quite intentional. Some may not like the fact that I cut the closest light right down the middle. I considered cropping it out but I thought that the scene lost its grounding. No reference for the viewer. Some may actually prefer the lack of grounding but I didn't. What I failed to do is to include the entire light. I do not have any shots of that. I am not sure that I would have liked that any better but if I shot it then I would have been given a choice. I do this a lot as I tend to trust my intuition for a shot and move on. I like to rely on my intuition in my photography because I believe that intuition relies on energy and can often be the best guide. That being said, nothing prevents me from shooting intuitively then shooting analytically, but my first shots are usually my favorites.

No comments: