Sunday, November 4, 2007

congratulations brent

I wish that I had a picture for this post but unfortunately I do not. Brent Lorenzen and I went to high school together and swam together. We got back in touch with one another and competed in our first Ironman together. Brent is an incredible athlete and always has been one of the hardest working guys I know. He manages to race as a professional triathlete despite the fact that he is a full time medical school student. That in itself amazes me.

Brent raced at Ironman Florida yesterday and had a great day until the last 10k of the marathon where he says he blew up. He finished 12th overall with a time of 8:43. It is hard to comprehend how good this is if you are not familiar with the sport. He swam 2.4 miles in 50 minutes, then rode 112 miles at 24 MPH, then topped it off with a 3:04 marathon (7 minute pace). These numbers are hard for me to comprehend and I have raced Ironman. I wish I could run a 3:04 marathon on fresh legs but never in an Ironman.

The most impressive part of Brent's race was that he suffered a bout of shingles just weeks before the race. He wasn't planning on racing and then he began to feel better so he decided to give it a shot. I am sure he is glad he did.

Brent is an inspiration. He is pursuing his dreams and that is admirable. Congratulations Brent and best of luck in Australia in 4 weeks!!!

Racing Ironman is a life altering experience....for me it is just a matter of time before I get back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's quite the marathon time.