Tuesday, November 6, 2007

if a photograph were a movie


Sometimes it wouldn't work. But this scene as a point in time works for me because it looks like this little girl posed for me to show off her Halloween costume. Nothing could be further from the truth. As soon as I pressed the shutter she ran away and I didn't see her the rest of the night. I love the tilt of her head as if to show off her tarheel. Her deep blue eyes and blonde hair are so nice against the green background. It looks like I had a plan.

Photography is wonderful in its ability to stop time. In this particular case stopping time was necessary to tell an interesting story. At other times, stopping time with a photograph can increase the impact to the viewer by creating an emotional reaction that a movie may not be able to convey. My attraction to photography is that it is a different way to view the world. Our eyes only see constant motion and cannot process one frame at a time. In essence, a photograph allows us to slow down and enjoy details that are often overlooked in our nonstop world.

No comments: