Thursday, September 20, 2007

free, free, set me free


I went to a music festival last night and shot the red carpet arrival of a bunch of unsigned bands that are trying to impress a bunch of music execs over the next few days. I hung out on the red carpet and was bored to tears. Excuse me, please look this way so I can get the shot. I was meeting some guys in a band called State of Man and I was going to try and shoot them together which never happened although I did get them individually with some great results.

Normally I hate that type of event. I walk around and know very few people (in this case about 4). I would wander from room to room looking for someone to talk to. But last night I had my camera and magic happened. Having a camera around my neck and a press pass on my chest made people come up to me to ask if I would take their picture. Later in the night people I shot earlier in the night were coming up to me saying "Hey Steve" like we were friends. It was surreal.

That camera made it so simple to approach a group and start some small talk ending in a simple request to take their picture. That camera removed any reservations or shyness that normally make me stick to my comfort zone. With a camera, the entire place was my comfort zone and people were enjoying the fact that I was sharing it with them. It was a blast. When I finally got home, I was so pumped up I could not sleep. It was a cool night.

Note to self: Take my camera EVERYWHERE.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a strong, cool portrait. But she has a whole lot more potential too, if you could shoot more with her or her band

Steve said...

gordon,
Thanks for coming by and thank you for the compliment. I sent some of these shots to one of the band members. There was one guy with her but the whole band wasn't there. I told him i would definitely like to shoot them again. We'll see what he says. Thanks again.

Paul said...

Yes! That camera is a great conversation starter! It's amazing how many people will walk up to you and actually ask you to take their pictures! Before I went to The Next Step, I hardly photographed people at all. Now, it's kind of hard to stop! :-)

That's a great photo. I've always wanted to take one of a person with so much 'hardware'. :-)

Steve said...

Paul,
Thanks for the comments. It struck me how this girl would be classified as classically beautiful but her choices for piercings and dress would probably make some say otherwise.