Saturday, September 29, 2007

impromptu portraits


I have been taking a lot of impromptu portraits this week. I do this quite a bit with my kids but this week I decided that I was going to take my camera outside when they were playing with their friends. I have been hesitant to do this because I felt like it might be an intrusion on the kids or their parents. I asked one parent how she felt about her appearance yesterday and as soon as the question was out of my mouth she she began to run for her house. So perhaps the kids would be more receptive and they were.

LIfe as a kid is good. Not much to worry about and not enough experiences to have developed inhibitions. One little girl kept coming up to me and putting herself in front of the camera. She posed without my pleading giving me poses that I could not have instructed. Her sister on the other hand was a bit more cautious, but by the end of the evening she too was placing herself in front the of the camera. She gave me my favorite portrait of the week. Another little boy would pose for a picture then want to see it on my camera. He did it over and over. He speaks in the third person which makes the experience more precious. The parents are next. I will ask them to act like their kids and see if I can create some magic.

My interest in impromptu portraits is that all you need is interesting light and a willing subject to make a great portrait. Often when people or kids are relaxed is when you can get the most wonderful expressions.

No comments: