Monday, October 1, 2007

just play


I think it is important for me to not take my photography too seriously. When I get too into something it tends to be a bit destructive in that it becomes an obsession. So, I have been playing a lot lately. You can see it in some of my impromptu portraits that I talked about recently. I think this play can actually provide some creative inspiration. I have seen some wonderful photographs by others that were the result of experimenting with their camera. You never know what is going to be recorded until you try it.

I took this photograph the other day while being pursued by five kids in my front yard. Kids are amazing creatures. So free to do what comes naturally without inhibitions. They could be occupied for hours by a game of chase if the energy remained high enough. To many of us adults it seems like a silly game. What is the point? What is the endgame? There is no endgame. The process of the chase is the point because it is fun to act crazy and laugh and fall. What a reminder. I had my camera in my hands during this game and shot as often as I could getting very little sharp and often very little in the frame except some beautiful colored grass.

On one pass by my 17 month old son I captured this from above. I like this shot because it is an unusual composition for a portrait although I see from this vantage point quite often. I also like it because I was able to capture the fact that at 17 months old he still has quite a bit of baby hair left. I call it old man hair because it is thin and scraggly. My processing emphasized this making him look like he is actually balding with a crown on top. It is a fun shot for me. My wife asked me why I put this shot on my website. My reply, "I was just playin'."

Have fun!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

maybe there's a portrait series in there, shooting down across people's heads/ faces.

Who knows what spark you might find in these playful moments.