Tuesday, October 16, 2007

the boulders


After we left Cape Point we took a drive over to The Boulders which overlooks False Bay. The primary attraction besides the sheer beauty of False Bay is an African Penguin colony that lives on the beaches at Boulders. I am told that the colony living there is over 3,000 which began as two in 1982. We were able to get very close to the penguins because there is a boardwalk that traverses the beach and the penguins come right up to it. I shot this following shot above a penguin who had walked very close to the boardwalk and used my 200mm lens to get even closer. I like the patterns of black and white in the animal as well as the fur hanging from his beak.


This last shot is a rock not far into the bay called Noah's Ark. Again using my 200mm I got as close as I could and found that there were a couple penguins sitting on top enjoying the day.


It is hard to argue that Cape Town and the surrounding areas are one of the most beautiful places on earth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the top down perspective on the penguin - makes it more abstract/ interesting to me.