Saturday, October 20, 2007

the green market meets its match


The Green Market is a small market in Cape Town where locals sell African crafts to tourists. When you arrive in the Green Market you know you are in for an experience. I spent a good deal of time there talking with the vendors but not really buying anything much to their dismay. I went later with my wife and her friend Michelle who both managed to do some damage in a short amount of time.

This is one of my favorite pictures from my whole trip. Michelle is from Brooklyn and she is Italian. That combination means she is not going to take any crap from anyone and it made her very dangerous in the market. Michelle is one of my favorite people that I have met in some time. Her enthusiasm and passion is always evident when you are around her and it becomes contagious. She embraced the Green Market experience. This particular shot was taken at the fifth place she bought something at and tells a great story.

Vendors are extremely aggressive in their approach to you. They are instantly offering a "great price" and beginning the negotiation process. Michelle diffused this by complimenting this man on his painting of a zebra. That got him off track and was the beginning of the end for this guy. The negotiation lasted for several minutes and I began shooting as they got close to a deal. In this picture she had him on the ropes and it showed in his expression.

We had fun at the Green Market and Michelle was a big part of that. I think the Green Market will be wary of a Brooklyn accent in the future.

No comments: