Friday, October 5, 2007

tex


Tex is from Dallas but now lives in NYC. I was changing lenses on the steps of a church and Tex walked up to a woman sitting not to far from me. They began to talk and I found them both interesting, so I asked if I could take their picture while they talked. Ann didn't want her picture taken but Tex was more than willing for a few dollars. I happily obliged and even offered Ann a couple dollars. She declined but Tex said that he would accept hers.

Before I began shooting we talked for a bit. Tex asked me where I was from and I told him Atlanta. We discussed living in Atlanta and how the Braves are making a mistake by getting rid of Andrew Jones (his opinion). We moved to other areas of baseball and then we started talking about living in NYC and being homeless. We talked about my job dealing with money and Tex said he was going to help a vendor move their cart later that day. When I asked about getting some money for that he said that this vendor always took care of him. Ann asked me where I was staying and I told her the Waldorf Astoria which was right next to the church. Tex said they had a big UN convention there last week and you couldn't even get near it. I told them that some of the dignitaries were still around and I told them Angelina Jolie walked right by me as I sat in the lobby (major eye contact by the way). Angelina Jolie is a UN Goodwill Ambassador and I have to believe that is why she was there this week. Ann said that at least it wasn't Britney Spears which I agreed with.

When someone saw this picture of Tex, she asked don't I feel sorry for homeless people that I see on the street. Of course I feel compassion, but talking with Tex and Ann I felt that being homeless wasn't the worst thing in the world. Their knowledge of current events from sports to politics to entertainment suggested to me that they are living life on their terms. There was no sadness or sorrow to be felt. I met two nice people on the streets of NYC who just so happened to not have a home. I was fortunate to be allowed to take a picture of one of them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the narrative to go with it. Where's the picture of Angelina - surely you asked her ;) ?

Steve said...

I wished I had my camera at that time. I doubt I would have found the guts to ask however. Thanks for stopping by.