Wednesday, October 10, 2007

ron and his cats


I met Ron in NYC. When I first walked up to Ron and his cart of cats I felt bad for the cats. I wondered why he had cats. Taking care of himself on the streets is hard enough. With cats it must have been even harder. Because of my sympathy for his four legged friends I handed him $5 and told him to take care of them. Then I began to talk to him. I was amazed with all that was going on around him that the cats just layed there. They were tied up to the cart but had the ability to jump down. Ron's cart had a litter box as well as food and water, so I knew he cared for the animals.

I shot a few shots of the cats as we talked. It turns out that Ron lives in New Jersey where he has a house. Around that house is a big tom cat that is creating a problem of more cats left wild on the street. Despite numerous attempts no one can catch this prolific tom cat and prevent him from reproducing. Ron estimated that he had 70 cats that he has given away over the years. Ron was looking for a good home for the gray cat. He assured me that all his cats have had their shots. The yellow cat was his and had been with him "for a while".

I doubt Ron had a job but I was glad to hear he had a home and a wife and 6 cats. He was a nice man and was grateful for the money I gave him. I began to think about the assumptions we make without knowing all the facts. I am sure it benefits Ron if people assume he is homeless, but it is an inaccurate conclusion. Ron may be jobless but he is not homeless. He was just on the streets of NYC looking for a good home for his cats.

No comments: