Thursday, October 25, 2007

the end of the road


I have always been goal oriented. If there wasn't a goal I had a hard time getting motivated. I consider myself to be a pretty good athlete. I love to exercise but I don't exercise for the same reasons most people do. It is not about being healthy. It is about the next goal I can achieve. If there isn't a goal, then exercise is harder for me to embrace. I am in no way condoning this type of behavior rather than trying to explain myself before taking you on a jouney up Lion's Head in Cape Town.

My wife, two friends and I went for a hike up Lion's Head. I suggested the taxi driver drop us off at a trail head and I really wasn't sure where it was going to take us. We had a limited amount of time for this hike so we needed to get going. We walked for a while and kept traveling around the base of the stone cliffs. We had a wonderful view of Cape Town and the ocean but I wanted to make our way over to the point where we could see Camps Bay. So we kept walking. Just about the time we needed to turn around we reached a point on the trail that gave us this view. It was beautiful. I was relieved to have taken our group to a wonderful point where we could enjoy the view as well as take a few pictures of each other.

One of the things that photography has encouraged me to do is to enjoy where I am at the moment. If we do not enjoy the current moment then we will never enjoy much at all. I should have remembered this on the hike and just enjoyed the journey, the view, and the conversation while not worrying so much about getting somewhere. We were somewhere and could have turned back anywhere and had a wonderful time.

Note: For those keeping score and remember an earlier post, this vacation took its toll. I gained four pounds while I was gone. No exercise and great South African food and wine didn't help.

No comments: