Monday, October 22, 2007

shanty town


It does not take long when exploring Cape Town to find very beautfiful homes with spectacular views. It takes even less time to find many shanty towns where less fortunate South Africans are found living all over Cape Town. These towns are an uncomfortable reminder for an outsider that this country is not very far removed from apartheid where racial segregation was the norm. A shanty town is where people live, work, get their haircut, and socialize. The people live in makeshift houses made of various materials. Many of the homes have dirt floors with no electricity. I was drawn to these and wanted to experience one first hand. I was told that it was not a good idea because it was unsafe. A tour was suggested but I did not think I would have a good experience.

This particular picture was taken near Hout Bay where I spent most of one afternoon. I asked my cab driver if he would drive me through since he suggested a walking tour was not such a good idea. He seemed a bit reluctant but did agree. This paticular town did have electricity as I noticed the electric wires running through the town. I found a barber shop that was big enough for one chair that had a customer as I passed by. I asked the cab driver to back up and took a few shots of the barber and his customer. As I took one, a young boy on his way home from school jumped in front of me and wanted his picture taken. Of course I obliged and found his presence a better photograph than the barber.

The people I saw were just like any of us. The only difference is that they were just poor. As I drove around with my windows down and expensive camera equipment sticking out I never felt that I was doing something I shouldn't. It was quite the opposite. People I passed on the streets looked me in the eye and smiled or nodded their head as if to say hello to an obvious outsider. It was comforting and I appreciated their making me feel welcome.

Many people believe that their is a growing chasm between the rich and the poor in the US. I am unconvinced about it growing larger but I am convinced that we have many people living here in conditions not far removed from these shanty towns. In South Africa, these shanty towns draw attention despite government's attempt to hide them. This may help these people as the world turns its eyes towards South Africa in 2010 for the soccer World Cup. We could use the same attention to our poor here in the US.

No comments: