Wednesday, October 24, 2007

remember rule #6


There is a wonderful book called The Art of Possibility by Benjamin and Rosamund Zander. They tell a great story that involves Rule #6 that makes the book worth reading for that insight alone, but in essence Rule # 6 is about not taking yourself so seriously. Several people have asked me about my blog and the focus on people who are less fortunate. The poor and the homeless are serious topics but not one that I have highlighted intentionally. I think I am drawn to people in general and more specifically people who have an interesting story whether that is a homeless man playing chess or a rich executive stepping out of a limo. A man living on the street is someone that has different experiences than I do so therefore is interesting to me. I have compassion for these people and want a better life for them (if that is what they want) but I am not doing anything other than trying to highlight their story with respect and compassion. If it helps them that makes me happy, but I doubt I am experiencing a higher calling..although you never know.

So, what does this have to do with Rule #6? I do not want my blog to be too heavy so today is about not taking myself so damn seriously. What better way to lighten up than with a kid and a snow cone? Hopefully you find this light and refreshing just like this snow cone.

No comments: