Tuesday, October 16, 2007

south african dancers




Sunday night I went to the waterfront in Cape Town to get some dinner and watch the South Africa vs. Argentina rugby match. I came along these women who were performing a dance on the streets. This is nothing unusual down on the waterfront. I found many interesting musicians while I have been here that I will post on my website.

These women were entertaining for a few reasons. There were only three of seven of them that were actually dancing and singing. The other four were sitting behind them. When one song ended I was surprised that none of them spoke English. I had asked them what the song was about. I tried in many different ways to communicate my question including the "so often american used version of speaking slowly" because maybe that would help. Nothing did so I was left to wonder.

When the next song began, I gave them 10 Rand which seems to be the going rate and began taking some pictures. This first woman gave me some great looks. I was shooting in ambient light and it was getting dark so getting her still was tough. She seemed to love the attention. The second woman was very serious and concentrated on her music which I definitely appreciated.

This last woman tried the hardest to speak with me and this picture makes this series. As I said, only three women were dancing and four women were sitting. In this last picture you can see why. They didn't speak English but they understood The Colonel and KFC. Some things just don't need a translation. These were great women, very entertaining, and just working hard for a living like anyone else.

No comments: